On Discipline (and Adulting — yes again)
So I've finally figured it out! This thing that has been bothering me about adulting. This thing that is so worthy of Awe, so deserving of Practice, and so mindblowing to me in my young adulthood, and it is this - Discipline!
- The discipline to go to bed on time
- The discipline to get up at the same time every morning
- The discipline to hold down a job
- The discipline to manage your finances
- The discipline to plan a wedding
- The discipline to raise children
- The discipline to be a parent
- The discipline to ... be an adult!
It's taken me a few months, but I have now realized that this "adulting" thing is all about discipline! (and that perhaps is why it is so difficult) Because discipline is all about training and correction! and provided you don't give up, Life / Society will continue to demand discipline of you until you get it right.
What is that proverb again?
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid
Proverbs 12:1 - New International Version
It is such a game changer for me, realizing this, and I hope it is for you too.
Because now that I can definitely say that adulting is about discipline, I can face the task at hand head-on and with some excitement. Time-management, is about discipline. Financial management, is about discipline, life management is about discipline.
When I searched the internet for a picture of discipline, I struggled to find what I was looking for - but - what I did find was myriad quotes echoing the realization I've just had:
- Discipline is the one thing necessary, to achieve any goal worth having
- Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment
- Discipline is doing what needs to be done, even if you don't want to do it.
Right now in my life, the task before me, is to embrace discipline, and I will do my best.